John Henry Imoehl and Anna E Dierzenbach Imoehl Family
JOHN HENRY “JOHNNIE” IMOEHL son of Joseph and Helena (Doerr) Imoehl.
- born: 25 Feb 1880 in Washington Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
- died: 11 Nov 1961 at the age of 81 in Ossian, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
- married 20 Feb 1917 ANNA E. DIETZENBACH in Festina, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
ANNA E. DIETZENBACH daughter of Andreas and Anna (Vlasanty) Dietzenbach [also spelled Ditzenback and variations of].
- born on 25 Jan 1880 in Festina, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
- died in 1958 at the age of 78 in Independence, Buchanan County, Iowa, USA.
Sidenote: Anna is a descendant of Michel and Gertrudis (Appel) Dietzenbach, who are my 3rd great grandparents, making her my 1st cousin 3x removed. John Henry is my 1st cousin 2x removed.
John Henry Imoehl and Anna Dietzenbach Imoehl
It appears from viewing the Census records that Johnnie grew up and lived on his parents home farm until he retired. By 1920, his parents were retired and living in the village of Festina, Iowa. He and his brother Frank would split the farm between them in Section 17 & 18 of Military Township1. By 1940, John and Anna are living in Ossian, owning their own home. I suspect he sold the farm at the time he retired since his remaining living son would become a Dentist in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. After they moved to Ossian, he worked as a handyman in Ossian part time.
Anna grew up on her fathers farm in Section 3, Auburn Township, Fayette County, Iowa2. Her father, Andrew Dietzenbach owned 103.17 acres on the northern border of Auburn Township, just south of Washington Township and just a few miles south of Festina. Their farm was a couple of miles east of St. Lucas, Fayette County, Iowa.
John was 36 and Anna 37 when they married on February 20, 19173. They had three children: Alma, Joseph and Norbert. They lost Alma at the age of 11 and Norbert at the age of 24. Their son Joseph would become a dentist and was well known in Cedar Rapids area. A copy of their marriage record can be found in the graphic below.
John Henry Imoel Death Notice
Father Dies––John Imoehl, 81, father of Dr. J. J. Imoehl, 1934 Never ave. SE, died Saturday morning at Ossian. Services will be held at Ossian Monday.4
Anna (Dietzenbach) Imoehl Death Notice
Mother Dies––Mrs. John Imoehl, 79, mother of Dr. J.J. Imoehl, 1253 First ave. SE, died Friday night at Ossian. Services will be held at Ossian Monday.5
John and Anna Imoehl Census Records
Census records can be a great resource for genealogy research. It’s important to note however that the information collected may have been provided by any of the household members and sometimes even a neighbor. Especially in the early days, our ancestors had strong accents, so the information was up to the census taker for interpretation. Spelling was often written phonetically and the handwriting sometimes difficult to transcribe.
1920 US Federal Census, District 173, Military Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa, Supervisor’s District No. 4, Enumeration District No. 173, Sheet No 12 A. Enumerated on 24th day of January, 1920. Farm. [note: much of the right side of the document is illegible].
- John Imoeke [Imoehl], head, age: 39, married, can read and write, birthplace: Iowa, Fathers birthplace: Germany, Mothers birthplace: Pennsylvania…
- Annie E Imoeke ]Imoehl], wife, age: 38, married, can read and write …
- Imer [Alma] Imoeke [Imoehl], daughter …
1925 Iowa State Census, Military Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
- John Imoehl, head, age: 44, married, own home, mortgaged, value: 3500, abount of debt against the property: 2600, education: 4th grade, can read and write.
- Anna Imoehl, wife, age: 42, married.
- Alma Imoehl, daughter, age: 7, attending school, grade level 2.
- Joseph Imoehl, son, age: 4.
- Norbert Imoehl, son, age: 2.
1930 US Federal Census, District 26, Military Township, Winneshiek county, Iowa, Enumeration district No. 96-26, Supervisor’s District No. 3, Sheet No. 3 A. Enumerated on April 24, 1930.
- John H. Imoehl, head, Owned arm, age: 50, married, age at first marriage: 37, birthplace: Iowa, Fathers birthplace: Germany, Mothers birthplace: Pennsylvania, occupation: Farmer, Industry: Farm, working on own account, Veteran: no.
- Anna E. Imoehl, wife, age: 48, age at first marriage: 35, can read and write, birthplace: Iowa, Fathers birthplace: Germany, Mothers birthplace: Austria.
- Joseph J. Imoehl, son, age: 10, attending school, can read and write, birthplace: Iowa.
- Norbert A. Imoehl, son, age: 7, birthplace: Iowa.
1940 US Federal Census, District 96-26, Ossian Town, Military Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa. S.D. No. 4, E.D. No. 96-26, Sheet No. 1 B. Enumerated April 8, 1940. Owned home, value $1200.
- John Frnsehl [Imoehl], head, age: 60, married, highest grade completed: 4th grade, birthplace: Iowa, residence on farm: no, employed for pay: yes, occupation: General Laborer, industry: about town, weeks worked in 1939: 18, income: 190, income other source: yes.
- Anna, Frnsehl [Imoehl], wife, age: 58, married, highest grade, completed: 6th grade, birthplace: Iowa, occupation: housework.
- Joseph J. Frnsehl [Imoehl], son, age: 20, single, attending school or college: yes, highest grade completed, 4th year high school, birthplace: Iowa, occupation: none, still attending school.
John Henry Imoehl WWII Draft Registration Card
1942 – WWII Draft Registration Card for John Henry Imoehl, dated April 27, 1942, Local Board 1, Winneshiek, Iowa.6
- John Henry Imoehl, residence: Ossian, Winneshiek, Iowa, age: 62, birthplace: Winneshiek Co., Iowa, birthdate February 25, 1880, telephone: none, Name of person who will always know your address: Mrs. Anna Imoehl, Ossian, Iowa (wife), employer: Day laborer. Physical description: White, 5’ll” tall, 170 lbs., blue eyes, gray hair, ruddy complexion.
John Henry and Anna E. (Dietzenbach) Imoehl Children
- ALMA M. IMOEHL daughter of John Henry “Johnnie” and Anna E. (Dietzenbach) Imoehl, was born on 23 Nov 1917 in Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA. She died on 17 Jan 1929 at the age of 11 years, 1 month and 24 days old, at St. Joseph Hospital, New Hampton, Chickasaw County, Iowa, USA. She died of “Strentococci Meningitis”.7
Alma is buried at St. Marys Cemetery in Festina, Winneshiek, Iowa. Find A Grave Memorial #100779128.
- DR. JOSEPH JOHN “J.J.” IMOEHL, son of John Henry “Johnnie” and Anna E. (Dietzenbach) Imoehl, was born on 03 Mar 1920 in Festina, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA. He died on 17 Oct 1995 at the age of 75 in Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa, USA. He married JEAN CATHERINE (THOMPSON) TASCHNER daughter of Dewitt and Lucile (HOGAN) Thompson on 13 Jun 1959 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA. She was born on 01 Jan 1926 in Union Township, Delaware County, Iowa, USA.
Joseph was buried at Mount Calvary Cemetery, Cedar Rapids, Linn County,Iowa, USA. Find A Grave Memorial #70415636.
Jean was previously married to Robert L. Taschner. They had one daughter, Renee Taschner, who became Josephs step daughter.
Joseph J. Imoehl Navy Photo
University of Iowa9
J.J. was a student when he filled out his WWII Draft Registration card on February 16, 1942, where he is listed as Weighing 170 lbs., 6’1” in height, light complexion, blue eyes and brown hair.
He enlisted in the Navy on June 2, 1942 and released from service on June 6, 1946.
He became a dentist and was prominent in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa area. He served as chairman for the Linn County Board of Health in the early 1970’s.
Joseph was an avid bridge player. I found many clippings in the Cedar Rapid Gazette, where he played in tournaments. The newspaper clipping to the right is just one of many.8
Jean Taschner, Dr. J.J. Imoehl Exchange Vows10
Wedding vows were exchanged Saturday at 9 in the chapel of Immaculate Conception church by Jean Taschner, 908 Eighteenth st. SW, and Dr. J. J. Imoehl, 1934 Bever ave. SE.
The Tr. Rev. Msgr. Maurice Sheehy officiated.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Timmons of Atkins attended the couple. Miss Renee Taschner was flower girl.
The couple left on a 2-week trip to Canada, New York and Washington and will live at 1934 Bever ave. SE upon their return.
The bride is a Coe college graduate and has been teaching at Cleveland school. Dr. Imoehl is a graduate of the University of Kansas City dental school.
Joseph J. Imoehl Obituary11
Joseph J. Imoehl 75, of 3807 Foxborough Terr. NE, died Tuesday, Oct. 17, 1995, in his home from complications following recent heart surgery. Services: 10 a.m. Friday, St. Matthew Catholic Church, by the Rev. Gerald Condon. Burial: Mount Calvary Cemetery. Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today and 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. Friday at Teahen Funeral Home, where a prayer service begins at 7 tonight.
Survivors include his wife, Jean; a daughter, Renee Weeter and husband Rick of Iowa City; two grandchildren, Shane and Stacy; his mother-in-law, Betty Timmons and husband Robert of Cedar Rapids and Peggy Orcutt and husband Dr. Paul of Marion; many dear nieces and nephews; and many special cousins in northeast I owa whom he loved.
He was born March 3, 1920, in Ossian to John and Alma Imoehl and married Jean Taschner on June 13, 1959, in Cedar Rapids. Joseph was a graduate of Ossian High School, attended the University of Iowa and graduated from the University of Kansas City Dental School.
Joe was a lieutenant in the Naval Air Corps, serving during World War II. Dr. Joe was in private practice in Cedar Rapids for many years. He was a member of the American, Iowa and Linn County Dental Societies and Elks Club. He served on the Board of Health and the Lexington Green Association.
Joe loved bridge, golf and Hawkeye football.
Instead of flowers, memorial contributions may be given to Camp Courageous of Iowa, PO Box 557, Monticello 52310-0557; Mercy Medical Center Foundation, 700 10th St. SE; and St. Luke’s Hospital Foundation, 1026 A. Av. NE.
- NORBERT ANDREW IMOEHL son of John Henry “Johnnie” and Anna E. (Dietzenbach) Imoehl, was born on 03 May 1922 in Military Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA. He died on 07 Feb 1947 at the age of 24 in Winneshieck County, Iowa, USA.
Norbert Andrew Imoehl Obituary12
“Ossian – Norbert Andrew Imoehl, 24, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Imoehl of Ossian, died Friday at Woodward* following a three-month illness. Services will be conducted Tuesday in St. Francis de Sales church here. He is survived by his parents and one brother.”
* Woodward is a State School and Hospital originally designed to care for epileptic patients. In 1921, due to the urgent need for additional facilities for the care of the feebleminded of the state, the institution was expanded to include this group. However, his sad story is unknown by this author.
- Imoehl and F. Imoehl farms, 1930 Plat Map, Section 17-18, Military Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa, Plat Book of Winneshiek county, Iowa, 1930, Published by W. W. Hixson & Co., retrieved from The University of Iowa Libraries, Iowa Digital Library website online at http://digital.lib.uiowa.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/hixson/id/1809/rec/4 (Accessed 31 Oct 2019).
- Andrew Dietzenbach Farm, 1896 Plat Map of Sections 1-6, Auburn Township, Fayette County, Iowa, Plat book of Fayette County, Iowa, 1896, Union Publishing Company, retrieved from The University of Iowa Libraries, Iowa Digital Library online at http://digital.lib.uiowa.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/atlases/id/1237/rec/1 (Accessed 31 Oct 2019).
- John and Anna (Ditzenbach) Imoehl Marriage Record, Festina, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA, Iowa Department of Public Health; Des Moines, Iowa, Series Title: Iowa Marriage Records, 1880-1922; Record Type: Textual Records, Source Information, Title: Iowa, Marriage Records, 1923-1937, Author: Ancestry.com, Publisher: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., Publisher Date: 2014, Publisher Location: Provo, UT, USA, Edit Repository: Repository Information: Name: Ancestry.com, Address: http://www.Ancestry.com (Accessed 1 Nov 2019).
- John Imoehl Death, “City Briefs” The Gazette, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 11 Nov 1961, Sat, Page 2, retrieved from newspapers.com website online at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/33307398/ (Accessed 27 Jun 2019).
- Anna (Dietzenbach) Imoehl Death, “City Briefs”, The Gazette, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 10 May 1958, Sat, Page 2, retrieved from newspapers.com website online at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/38205036/mother_dies/ (Accessed 31 Oct 2019).
- John Henry Imoehl WWII draft registration card, The national Archives at St. Louis, st. Louis, Missouri, World War II Draft Cards (Fourth Registration) for the State of Iowa, Record Group Title: Records of the Selective Service System, 1926-1975, Record Group Number: 147; Box or Roll Number: 109. Author: Ancestry.com, Publisher: Online publication – Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007.Original data – United States, Selective Service System. Selective Service Registration Cards, World War II: Fourth Registration. National Archives and Records Administration Branch l, Repository: Ancestry.com, http//www.Ancestry.com. (Accessed 31 Aug 2019).
- Alma Imoehl Death Certificate 19-1075. New Hampton, Chickasaw County, Iowa, retrieved from ancestry.com online at https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/61442/101768580_01149/37256? (Accessed 28 Jun 2019).
- Dr. J.J. Imoehl’s team wins bridge championship. The Gazette, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 12 Aug 1967, Sat, page 6, col 5. This Day 10-20-30 years ago Section, retrieved from newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/image/549302931/?terms=J.J.%2Bimoehl (Accessed 28 Jun 2019).
- Imoehl, Joseph J., Ossian, Iowa, University of Iowa, Navy Cruise Books, 1918-2009, Navy Department Library, Fold3 publication date 2012, Job 12-037, U.S. Navy cruise books for various years and ships, 1918 to 2009, retrieved from fold3.com online at https://www.fold3.com/image/303184227?terms=Joseph%20imoehl (Accessed 1 Nov 2019).
- Jean Taschner and Dr. J.J. Imoehl Exchange Vows. The Gazette (Cedar Rapids, Iowa), 14 Jun 1959, Sun, page 33, Col 8, retrieved from newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/image/547650683/?terms=J.J.%2Bimoehl (Accessed 28 Jun 2019).
- Joseph J. Imoehl, Deaths/Eastern Iowa, The Gazette (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) 19 Oct 1995, Thu, p 14, col 1. retrieved from newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/image/550268642/?terms=ronald%2Bimoehl# (Accessed 16 Jul 2019).
- Norbert Andrew Imoehl death notice. The Gazette, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 09 Feb 1947, Sun, page 30 Col 5, retrieved from newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/image/550856262/?terms=Norbert%2BImoehl# (Accessed 28 June 2019).