Harry John Ruehl Family
Henry “Harry” John Ruehl III son of Henry and Margaretha (Heck) Ruehl
- born: 27 Feb 1894 in Sioux City, Woodbury County, Iowa, USA.
- died: 07 Jun 1954 at the age of 60 in Los Angeles County, California, USA.
- married: about 1921 Merle Marie Kisling about 1921 in Madison, Nebraska.
Merle Marie Kisling, daughter of John E. and Anna (Thomson) Kisling
- born: 31 Mar 1896 in Monona County, Iowa, USA.
- died: 11 May 1957 at the age of 61 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA.
Harry and Merle Ruehl Census Records and City Directory
1930 US Federal Census, City of St. Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota, Ward No. 7, Block No 195 continued, Enumeration District No. 62-101, Supervisor’s District No. 8, Sheet No. 5 B. Dwelling No. 28, Family Number 105, enumerated on April 4, 1930, Address: 610 Summit Avenue.
- Harry J. Ruehl, Head, Renting, $53, age 36, married, age at first marriage: 27, able to read and write, birthplace: Minnesota, Father and Mother born in Minnesota, occupation: Sales manager, Industry: Retail Automobile, Veteran of WW [WWI].
- Merle M Ruehl, wife, age: 34, married, age at first marriage: 25, birthplace: Iowa, Fathers birthplace: Iowa, Mothers birthplace: Denmark.
- Ruehl, Harry J (Merle) slsmn Midway Chevrolet Co h1252 E. Como blvd
1940 U.S. Federal Census, St. Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota, 12th Ward of City Block No. 58, S.D. No. 4, E.D. No. 10-252, Sheet No. 4A, Enumerated on April 2, 1940. 102 E. Como Blvd.
- Harry Ruehl, owned home, value: 12,000, farm? No, Head, age: 46, married, highest grade completed: High School 4th year, birthplace: Iowa, employed: yes, occupation: Manager, Industry: Automotive Agency; Working on own account
- Merle Ruehl, wife, age 44, married, highest grade completed: High School 4th year, birthplace: Iowa.
- Mary Lou Ruehl, daughter, age: 9, highest grade completed: 3, birthplace: Minnesota.
Covina, Los Angeles County, Calfornia
In 1945 Harry relocated to Covina, Los Angeles County, California to open his own Packard Dealership. The advertisement to the right was found in a 1947 Covina Argus, newspaper.1
29 Jun 1951
Post Names Harry Ruehl Commander2
Harry Ruehl, Covina Packard dealer, was unanimously elected commander of Howard T. Douglas post of the American Legion Monday night.
Ruehl, a resident of Covina six years, making his home at 413 Kenoak drive, announced this week that he hopes the Legion will be able to co-operate with other service clubs in town, and that veterans, although they are members of other clubs, will join the American Legion to help unify strength of patriotism in the area.
Beginning his army service as an enlisted man in World War I, he served as a major in World War II in Europe and Africa. He is past adjutant of the Covina post, and headed the youth service for the Rotary club. He succeed Barry Renfro, who held the office two years.
New officers chosen were Joe Henry, first vice-commander; Carl Munson, second vice-commanders; William Yeager, third vice-commander; Ed Heffner, finance officer.
Appointed to the executive committee were Ivan Pyle, Doyle Epperson, Harold Potter, and Sid Schissler.
Other business coming before the post was the streamling of …[unreadable text] … to the state convention in September. They will be Renfro, Pyle, Ruehl, Heffner, and Schissler.
New officers will be installed on July 9.
Harry John Ruehl Obituary
09 June 1954
Harry J. Ruehl Death3
RUEHL, Harry J., of Covina, beloved husband of Mrs. merle Ruehl, father of Mrs. Mary Lou Schlichting of Covina [California].
Rosary 6:45 p.m. Thursday at the Baldwin Park Funeral Home. Mass 9 a.m. Friday at Sacred Heart Church, Covina.
10 June 1954
Rosary Today in BP for John Ruehl, Covina Leader4
Rosary is being held today (Thursday) at the Baldwin Park Funeral Home for Harry John Ruehl, 0, who established the Packard agency in Covina and was an active member of the American Legion, rotary and Holy Name Society.
Sixty-year-old Ruehl died June 7 at his home, 413 West Kenoak drive, Covina. he had retired from business in September, 1953, due to his failing health. Mass will be said at 9 a.m. tomorrow at sacred Heart church in Covina, Father Bernard Collins officiating.
The retired businessman was born February 27, 1894 in Sioux city, Iowa, and came to California in 1945 from St. Paul, Minnesota, to establish the Packard agency in Covina.
A veteran of World Wars I and II, Ruehl was a major in the Army Air Forces. He was a member of Sacred Heart church and past president of the Holy Name Society, Post Commander of Covina Post, American Legion, and a member of the Covina Rotary club.
Surviving Ruehl are his wife, Merle; his mother, Mrs. Margaretha Ruehl of Baldwin Park; a daughter, Mrs. Mary Lou Schlichting of Covina; and two grand-children. Other relatives are his seven sisters, mrs. A. D. Alexander, Jr., and Miss Pauline Ruehl of Baldwin Park; Mrs. Carl J. Lick and Mrs. Al Heider of Los Angeles; Mrs. George L. Tobin and Mrs. Edward A. Johnson of St. Paul, Minn., and Mrs. Jewell age of oak Park, Ill.
U.S. Headstone Application for Harry J. Ruehl
Harry John and Merle Marie (Kisling) Ruehl Child
- Mary Lou Ruehl daughter of Henry “Harry” John Ruehl III and Merle Marie (Kisling) Ruehl. She married Richard “Dick” Oscard Schlichting, son of Oscar Jacobus and Hedwin Elsa Margaretha (Jansen) Schlichting, on 26 Nov 1950 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA. He was born 17 May 1925 in Plainfield, Union County, New Jersey, USA. He died on 18 Dec 2014 at the age of 89 in La Grande, Union County, Oregon, USA.
Mary Lou (Ruehl) and Dick Schlichting Children:
- Marke Schlchting
- Margaret Schlichting
- Jan Marie Schlichting
- William J. Schlichting
- Harry J. Ruehl Packard Sales and Service AD, Covina Argus, Covina, California, 01 Aug 1947, Fri, Page 4, retrieved from Newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36310204/harry_j_ruehl_packard_dealer/ (Accessed 24 Sep 2019).
- “Post Names Harry Ruehl Commander” Covina Argus, Covina, California, 29 Jun 1951, Fri, Page , retrieved from Newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36310095/post_names_harry_ruehl_commander/ (Accessed 15 Oct 2019).
- Harry J. Ruehl Death “RUEHL, Harry J.” The Los Angeles times, Los Angeles, California, 09 Jun 1954, Wed, Page 33, retrieved from Newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/37225929/harry_j_ruehl_obituary/ (Accessed 24 Sep 2019).
- “Rosary Today in BP for John Ruehl, Covina Leader” Covina Argus, Covina, California, 10 Jun 1954, The, Page 7, retrieved from Newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36307608/rosary_for_john_ruehl_covina_leader/ (Accessed 24 Sep 2019).
- Headstone Application for Harry John Ruehl. Harry John Ruehl, U.S. Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1925-1963. Publisher: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc. Publisher Date: 2012, Provo, UT, USA. Retrieved from ancestry.com at https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/2375/40050_1220706418_0402-00397/1616743?backurl=https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/6995341/person/212109372451/facts (Accessed 15 Oct 2019).