Marie K Ruehl Tobin and George L Tobin Family
Marie K. Ruehl daughter of Henry John and Elizabeth (Dörr) Ruehl
- born: 22 May 1899 in Nebraska, USA.
- died: Nov 1976 in Mount Vernon, Skagt County, Washington, USA.
- married George Leonard Tobin Sr. most likely in 1919
George Leonard Tobin Sr. son of James W. and Stella Alice (McGeehan) Tobin
- born: 13 Jun 1895 in St. Paul, Hennepin County, Minnesota, USA.
- died: 23 Jun 1980.
George Tobin Sr. was a WWI Veteran, according to the 1930 US Federal Census. I couldn’t find any military records for George L. Tobin with his birth and death dates. His occupation was as bank clerk/teller.
Marie and George had two sons. Marie was a member of the Mothers’ Club of St. Thomas college for support of the sons. Their son, George Paul Tobin Junior was killed in action in France in 1944 during WWII.
Sometime after George Senior died, Marie moved to Mount Vernon, Skagt County, Washington to live with or near her son Harry.
The following records provide clue’s about their life:
George L. Tobin WWI Draft Registration Card
June 5, 1917
George L. Tobin WWI Draft Registration Card:
George L. Tobin, age: 21, 689 Carroll Ave. St. Paul, Minnesota, date of birth: June 13, 1895, a natural born citizen, birthplace: St. Paul, Minnesota, present occupation: Clerk, 1st Nat’l Bank, St. Paul, Minnesota, single, Physical description: Tall, Medium build, gray eyes, light brown hair, not bald.
George and Marie Robin Census and City Directory Records
Census records can be a great resource for genealogy research. It’s important to note however that the information collected may have been provided by any of the household members and sometimes even a neighbor. Especially in the early days, our ancestors had strong accents, so the information was up to the census taker for interpretation. Spelling was often written phonetically and the handwriting sometimes difficult to transcribe.
1919 St. Paul Minnesota City Directory
- Ruehl, Marie clk G N Ry b 406 Iglehart av [with brother Harry Ruehl]
1920 US Federal Census, St. Paul Ward 12, Ramsey County, Minnesota, 1st precinct, enumeration district No. 142, supervisor’s district No. 159-4, sheet No. 18 A, enumerated on January 2, 1920. 689 Carrel Ave.
- James W. Tobin, Head, own home free of mortgage, age: 48, married, can read and write, birthplace: Minnesota, occupation: Clerk, Industry: Post Office, wage or salary: Wage.
- Silvia A. Tobin, wife, age: 46, married, can read and write, birthplace: Minnesota
- George S [L.]. Tobin, son, age: 23, married, can read and write, birthplace: Minnesota, occupation: clerk, industry: bank, wage or salary: wage.
- Marie Tobin, daughter [in-law], age: 20, married, can read and write, birthplace: Nebraska, occupation: none.
- Rosalin McGeehan, sister-in-law, age: 43, single, can read and write, birthplace: Minnesota, occupation: clerk, industry: Dept. Store.
Note: On this 1920 US Federal Census we find George and Marie living with Georges parents:
1930 US Federal Census, City of St. Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota, 1st (part of) Ward , Block No. 137, Enumeration district No. 62-10, Supervisor’s district No. 8, Sheet No. 6A, Enumerated on April 4th, 1930. 816 E. Hyacinth St.
- George L. Tobin, Head, own home, value $4,000, farm: no, age: 32, married, age at first marriage 22, able to read and write, birthplace: Minnesota, occupation: bank teller, industry: bank, veteran: yes, WW [WWI].
- Marie K. Tobin, wife, age: 30, married, age of first marriage: 20, able to read and write, birthplace:; Nebraska,
- George R. Tobin, son, age: 6, attending school, birthplace: Minnesota
- Harry N. Tobin, son, age: 2 years 7 months, birthplace: Minnesota
1930 St. Paul Minnesota, City Directory
- Tobin, Geo L (Marie K) teller First Natl Bk h816 Hyacinth
1932 St. Paul, Minnesota, City Directory
- Tobin, Geo L (Marie K) teller First Natl Bk h 816 Hyacinth
1934 St. Paul Minnesota, City Directory
- Tobin, Geo L (Marie K) teller First Natl Bank h1812 Iglehart av
1940 US Federal Census, City of St. Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota, 11 War of city, Black No. 18-21, S.D. No. 4, E.D. No. 267, Sheet No. 11B, Enumerated on April 12, 1940. 1743 Juliet Avenue. [information provided by Marie].
- George L Tobin, Head, age: 44, married, highest grade completed: 1st year of college, birthplace: Minnesota, employed for pay: yes, hours worked week prior to census: 38, occupation: teller, industry: bank, weeks worked 1939: 52, income: $2500, other income sources: yes.
- Marie Tobin, wife, age: 40, highest grade completed: 8th grade, birthplace: Nebraska, occupation: home housework
- George Tobin, son, age: 16, attending school, highest grade competed: high school 2nd year
- Harry Tobin, son, age: 12, attending school, highest grade completed: elementary school 6th grade
Day of Prayer Replaces Mother's Club Party
December 5, 1943
Day of Prayer Replaces Mother’s Club Party 1
Members of the Mother’s club of St. Thomas college again will hold a day of prayer for their sons in service instead of the usual Christmas party at their December meeting, Wednesday.
Monseigneur James H. Moynihan, president of the college, will celebrate high mass at 9 a.m., and will speak at the meeting later in the morning.
Mrs. George Tobin is in charge of the breakfast.
George Leonard and Marie K (Ruehl) Tobin Children
- George Paul Tobin, Jr. son of George Leonard and Marie K. (Ruehl) Tobin was born on 16 Jun 1923 in Ramsey County, Minnesota, USA. He was killed in action on 27 Aug 1944 at the age of 21 in France during WWII.
Pvt. George Tobin, Jr. 20, killed in action in France.2
* * *
Pvt. George Tobin, Jr., 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Tobin, Sr., 1743 Juliet avenue, St. Paul, was killed in action in France, the war department has disclosed. A memorial mass will be held at 8 a.m. Monday in St. mark’s church, St. Paul.
* * *
- Harry Mark Tobin,, son of George Leonard and Marie K. (Ruehl) Tobin was born on 07 Aug 1927 in Ramsey, Minnesota, USA. He died on 28 Feb 2008 at the age of 80 in Mount Vernon, Washington. He married 1st Dolphine Boxleitner on 1 May 1954 in St. Paul, Minnesota, USA. Dolphine was born 09 Dec 1923 in Minnesota and died 7 October 1963 at the age of 39. She was the daughter of John H. and Teresa Boxleitner. Harry married 2nd Mary Janette “Jan” Heisler on 6 Jun 1964 at St. Peter Church in Richfield County, Minnesota, USA. Jan was born 27 Mar 1922 in Milaca, Minnesota, USA and died 1 Apr 2019 at the age of 97 at her home in She died in Mount Vernon, Washington.
Harry Mark Tobin Obituary3
Harry M. Tobin, 80, of Mount Vernon, Washington, died Thursday, February 28, 2008 at his home, after a brief illness.
He was born on August 7, 1927 in St. Paul, MN to George and Marie (Ruehl) Tobin. Harry attended schools in St. Paul and in 1949 earned a Bachelor’s Degree from the College of St. Thomas – now St. Thomas University in St. Paul.
While working in the business field, Harry returned to school, earning a Bachelor of Arts teaching degree from the University of Minnesota.
For fifteen years, Harry was a transportation agent for Northwest Airlines at Minneapolis-St. Paul.
In 1965 Harry moved his family to Mount Vernon where he began his career as a Business Management Instructor at Skagit Valley College. He thoroughly enjoyed teaching until his retirement in 1993. Harry was a pioneer in the work/study program at the college. He worked closely with the local business people to establish ‘On the Job’ training sites for his students.
With Wally Riggs, Harry developed the “Accura-Touch” system of supermarket cashiering. This system was the forerunner of the current computerized cash register system.
At one time Harry acted as a consultant to the Washington State Department of Occupational Education, developing the basic framework of the statewide Mid-Management Training Program.
Harry also served in the United States Naval Reserve. He was a lifetime member of the Knights of Columbus and taught high school students in the Religious Education program at Immaculate Conception School. He was a member of Immaculate Conception Church in Mount Vernon and at St. Mary Catholic Church in Anacortes. He was an active supporter of Human Life and St. Vincent de Paul.
Harry married Dolphine Boxleitner on May 1, 1954 in St. Paul. She preceded him in death in 1963.
He married Mary Janette Heisler on June 6, 1964 at St. Peter Church in Richfield, MN.
Harry was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Dolphine; and his older brother, George P. Tobin who was killed in action in 1944 while serving with the United States Army in France.
He is survived by his wife, Jan at the family home in Mount Vernon; daughter, Kathy Tobin of Mount Vernon; son and daughter-in-law, John and Cindy Tobin and their children, Matt and Megan of Mount Vernon; son and daughter-in-law, Mark and Kathleen Tobin and their daughter, Colleen of Longbranch, WA; sister-in-law, Charlotte Bushnell of Spokane, brother-in-law, Monsignor J. Jerome Boxleitner of Minneapolis, MN and numerous nieces and nephews.
A Rosary Service will be held at 7:00 p.m., Wednesday, March 5, 2008 at St. Mary Catholic Church in Anacortes. Rosary will also be held at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 6, 2008 at St. Mary Catholic Church.
Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11:00 a.m., Thursday, March 6, 2008 at St. Mary Catholic Church with Father Vu Tran and Father Martin Bourke officiating. A luncheon will be held immediately following the Mass. Interment will follow the luncheon at 3:00 p.m. at the Mount Vernon Cemetery on East Fir Street.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the St. Vincent DePaul Society or to the HUMAN LIFE of Mount Vernon. Arrangements are in the care of Evans Funeral Chapel and Crematory, Inc., Anacortes, WA.
Harry Mark and Dolphine (Boxleitner) Tobin Children:
- John Tobin
- Mark Tobin
- Kathleen Tobin
“Day of Prayer replaces Mother’s Club Party” Star Tribune, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 05 Dec 1943, Sun, Page 41, retrieved from newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36317634/mrs_george_tobinday_of_prayer_for/ (Accessed 24 Sep 2019).
“Pvt. George Tobin, Jr. 20, killed in action in France” The Minneapolis Star, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 14 Sep 1944, Thur, Page 15, retrieved from newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36317490/pvt_george_tobin_jr_20_killed_in/ (Accessed 24 Sep 2019).
- Harry M. Tobin Obituary “Harry M. Tobin” retrieved from Legacy.com online at https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/skagitvalleyherald/obituary.aspx?n=harry-m-tobin&pid=104918089 (Accessed 17 Oct 2019).