Joseph Sylvester and Theresa Mary (Schlichte) Doerr
Joseph Sylvester Doerr
son of William and Marie Catherine (Untereiner) Doerr.
Born: 26 Nov 1888 in Military Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
Died: 21 Aug 1936 at the age of 47 (suicide) in Military Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.1
Married: 9 Jan 1917 Theresa Mary Schlichte in Waucoma, Fayette County, Iowa, USA.2
Find A Grave Memorial #146596841 buried at Saint Francis de Sales Cemetery, Ossian, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
Theresa Mary Schlichte, daughter of Barney G. and Rose Katherine (Foreman) Schlichte.
Born: 15 Oct 1895 in Saint Lucas, Fayette County, Iowa, USA.
Died: 19 Mar 1970 at the age of 74 in Waterloo, Iowa, USA
Married 2nd: Irving Burnside in Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa,USA.
Find A Grave: Memorial #35403780 buried at Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Waucoma, Fayette County, Iowa, USA.
Joseph Sylvester and Theresa Mary (Schlichte) Doerr Story
Joseph was raised on the family farm in Military Township, where he assisted with the farming. He was 28 and Theresa 21 when they married in 1917. It appears they moved around a bit, but the census records shows Joseph working as a farmer on most records.
His World War I draft registration card show them living in Ossian, dated June 5th 1917, his occupation as farmer self employed.
The 1920 US Federal Census shows them living in Calmar Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa, renting their farm. The 1930 US Federal Census shows them renting their farm in Eden Township, Fayette County, Iowa.
Their daughter Katherine was born August 1st, 1924 in Cresco, Vernon Springs Township, Howard County, Iowa, but her birth certificate show Joseph and Theresa living in Bristol Township, Minnesota. [Fillmore County]. She was their 4th child, 3 of which were living. Joseph’s occupation is Farmer. I’ve found no other evidence that they lived in Minnesota, however.
On August 21, 1936 Joseph committed suicide by hanging in Military Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa. His death certificate shows them living in Ossian and state cause of death “by suicide, hung from the hay chute in the hayloft”.
Joseph Sylvester Doerr Obituary
OSSiAN – Funeral services for Joseph Doerr, 47, who died Friday, were held at the Catholic church Monday, the Rev. M. J. Thiltgen officiating. Mr. Doerr is survived by his widow, six children his mother, two brothers, John of Decorah and Theodore of Britt, and two sisters, Mrs. John Moellers of Ossian and Mrs. Einck of Charles City.3
Theresa M. (Shlichte) Doerr Burnside Obituary
Mr. [Mrs.] Theresa Burnside
Services for Mrs. Theresa Burnside, of East First Street Nursing Home, will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. John’s Catholic Church with the Rev. Clarence A. Ferring, pastor, officiating.
Mrs. Burnside died at the nursing home Monday of complications of a stroke.
There will be a rosary at 8 p.m. Tuesday at Chapel of memories West. Graveside services will be 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at St. Mary’s Catholic cemetery in Waucoma.
Mrs. Burnside was born Oct.15, 1895, in St. Lucas, the daughter of Bernard and Rose Foreman Schlichte. She was married to Joseph Doerr at Waucoma Jan. 1917. He died in 1936. She later married Irving Burnside at Mason City. He also preceded her in death. She was a Catholic.
Mrs. Burnside is survived by one son, Clarence J. Doerr of Millville; five daughters, Mrs. Germaine Van Brocklin of Route 5, Mrs. Dora Lea Uhrick of 404 Indiana St., Mrs. Kathleen Frisbey of Davenport, Mrs. Wilma Gardener of Cresco and Mrs. Elma Beer of Decorah; one brother Paul Schlichte of Route 2; one sister, Mrs. Kate Uhlenhake of Ossian; 15 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
In addition to her husbands, she was preceded in death by her parents and two brothers.4
Census and Records for Joseph Sylvester and Theresa Mary (Schlichte) Doerr
It’s important to note that the information collected on Census records may have been provided by any of the household members and sometimes even a neighbor. Interpretation of information was up to the census taker. Spelling was often written phonetically and the handwriting sometimes difficult to transcribe.
1917 – WWI Draft Registration Card, Military Precinct, Winneshiek County, Iowa.
- Card No. 34, Joseph Sylvester Doerr, age: 28, Home address: Ossian, Iowa, birthdate: November 26th, 1888, natural born citizen, birthplace: Ossian, Iowa, USA, occupation: Farmer, employed by whom: myself, where employed? Osssian, Iowa, Have you anyone solely dependent on you? Wife, married, race: caucasian, Do you claim exemption from draft? Wife, Medium Height, Medium build, dark blue eyes, dark brown hair, bald? no, no disability.
1920 US Federal Census, Calmar Tonwship, Winneshiek County, Iowa. Supervisor’s Dlistrict No. 4, Enumeration District No. 156, Sheet No. 1 B, enumerated on 6th day of January, 1920. Line No. 82 Dwelling no. 19.
- Joe S. Doerr, head, renting, age: 31, married, can read and write, birthplace: Iowa, Fathers birthplace: Iowa, Toungue of Father: German, Mothers birthplace: Iowa, Toungue of Mother: French, able to speak english: no [although I believe this is incorrect], occupation: Farmer, Industry: Farm., Employment Type: Employer.
- Theresa M. Doerr, wife, age: 24, married, can read and write, birthplace: Iowa, Fathers birthplacce: Iowa, Toungue of Father: German, Mothers birthplace: Iowa, Toungue of mother: Bohemia [lined out], speaks english: no [I beleive this to be incorrect].
- Elma M. Doerr, daughter, age: 1 year 1 month, birthplace: Iowa.
1930 US Federal Census, Eden Township (part of), Fayette County, Iowa, Enumeration District No. 83-12, Supervisors District No. 3, Sheet No. 4 B, Enumerated on 14 of April 1930. Line No. 93, Dwelling No. 87, Family No. 87.
- Joseph S. Doerr, head, Renting, Farm, age: 40, married, age when married: 28, can read and write, birthplace: Iowa, Fathers birthplace: France, Mothers birthplace: France, occupation: Farmer, speaks English: yes, Industry: gen. farm, working on own account, veteran: no.
- Theresa M. Doerr, wife, age: 32, married, age when married: 21, can read and write, birthplace: Iowa, Fathers birthplace: Iowa, Mothers birthplace: Iowa, speaks English, yes, occupation: none.
- Elma Doerr, daughter, age: 11, attending school, can read and write, birthplace: Iowa, speaks English.
- Wilma Doerr, daughter, age: 8 years 2 months, attending school, birthplace: Iowa, speaks English.
- Cathryn Doerr, daughter, age: 5 years 7 months, attending school, birthplace: Iowa.
- Dora Lea Doerr, daughter, age: 2 years 2 months, birthplace: Iowa.
Joseph Sylvedster and Theresa Mary (Schlichte) Doerr Children
- Elma Mary Doerr
daughter of Joseph Sylvester and Theresa Mary (Schlichte) Doerr
Born: 20 Nov 1918 in Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
Died: 23 Feb 2004 at the age of 85 in Ossian, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
Married: 10 May 1941 Louise Alphonse Beer in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, Michigan, USA.
Find A Grave: Memorial #39178090 buried at Saint Francis de Sales Cemetery, Ossian, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
Louise Alphonse Beer son of Joseph and Caroline “Carrie” Theresa (Holder) Beer.
Born: 30 Oct 1914 in Springfield, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.5
Died: 30 Nov 1992 at the age of 78 in Ossian, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.6
Find A Grave: Memorial #103163216 buried at Saint Francis de Sales Cemetery, Ossian, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA..
Elma Mary (Doerr) Beer Obituary
Elma M. Beer, 85, of Ossian, died Monday, Feb. 23, 2004, in the Ossian Senior Hospice after a short illness. Services: 11 a.m. Thursday, St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church. Burial: church cemetery. Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday and 9 to 10:30 a.m. Thursday at Schmitz Funeral Home, Ossian, with a Scripture service at 4 p.m. Wednesday, followed by a rosary at 5:30 p.m.
Survivors include a daughter, Bev Gossling of Ossian; and two sisters, Wilma Gardner of Clear Lake and Germaine Von Bocklin of Oklahoma.7
Louis Alphonse Beer Obituary.
OSSIAN –– Louis Alphonse Beer, 78, of Ossian, died Monday, Nov. 30, of natural causes at St. Mary’s Hospital, Rochester, Minn.; survivors include his wife, Elma; a daughter, Beverly Gossling of Ossian; six grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and two sisters, Mathilda Hauer of Calmar and Dorothy Cremer of New Hampton; he was preceded in death by two brothers, Raymond and Jerome; and five sisters, Jeanette, Caroline, Georgina, Margaret and Olivia; services were 11 a.m. today at St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church, Ossian, with burial in the church cemetery; Ossian Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements; Mr. Beer was a farmer.8
Louise Alphonse and Elma Mary (Doerr) Beer Child
- Beverly Ann Beer married Alphonse John Gossling.
- Wilma Rose Doerr
daughter of Joseph Sylester and Theresa Mary (Schlichte) Doerr.
Born: 27 Jan 1922 in Waucoma, Fayette County, Iowa, USA.9
Died: 15 Mar 2020 in Lakeville, Dakota County Minnesota, USA.
Married 1st: 23 Dec 1938 Harvey J. Young in Cresco, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
Divorced: 1960 Harvey J. Young.
Married 2nd: 28 Jan 1961 Zachery Thomas Gardner in Mower County, Minnesota, USA.
Find A Grave: Memorial #208145277 buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery, Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, USA.
Harvey J. Young son of Arthur Lewis and Lillian Marie (Smith) Young.
Born: 20 Nov 1913 in Dubuque Township, Dubuque County, Iowa, USA.10
Died: 23 Dec 1976 at the age of 63 in Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, USA.
Married 1st: 12 Feb 1934 Viola Charlotte Hellum in Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, USA.
Divorced: Before Dec 1938 Viola Charlotte Young.
Find A Grave: Memorial #127839624 buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery, Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, USA.
Note: Harvey’s obituary mentions a daughter “Mrs. Eddie Parks”.
Zachary Thomas Gardner son of Jacob “Rupert” and Genevieve “Jennie” L. (Whalen) Gardner.
Born: 3 May 1921 in Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, USA.
Died: 22 Sep 1982 at the age of 61 in Clear Lake, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, USA.
Find A Grave: Memorial #127585836 buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery, Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, USA.
Harvey J. Young Obituary11
Cresco––Services for Harvey Young, 63 who died Wednesday at his home, will be 10 a.m. Friday at Bradley-Lindstrum Funeral Home; burial in Oak Lawn Cemetery; survivors include three daughters, Mrs. Eddie Parks of Rockford, Ill., Mrs. Phyllis Evans of Minneapolis, and Mrs. Ardys Squires of Waterloo; a son, Kenneth of Houston, Tex., and a brother, Ernest of Sonoma, Calif.
Zachery Thomas Gardner Obituary12
CRESCO–– Services for Zachary Thomas Gardner, 61, of clear Lake and formerly of Cresco, who died Wednesday at his home of cancer, will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Zion Lutheran Church in Clear Lake; graveside services at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Oak Lawn Cemetery in Cresco; survivors include his wife, Wilma; three daughters, Patti Gardner of Clear Lake, Mrs. Ardy Squiers of Waterloo and Mrs. Phyl Evans of Minneapolis, Minn.; a son, Ken Young of Houston, Texas; his mother, Mrs. Jessie Gardner of Cresco; two brothers, Robert of Sunnyvale, Calif., and Charles of Ridgeway; and a sister, Mrs. Dorothy Vagts of Cresco; and six grandchildren; friends may call at Ward-Van Slyke Colonial Chapel in Clear Lake Friday and before the services Saturday; he was a sales representative for several companies and then was employed by the Motor Club of Iowa (AAA).
Wilma Rose (Doerr) Young Gardner Obituary13
Wilma Rose Gardner
January 27, 1922 – March 15, 2020
Wilma Rose Gardner, 98, of Lakeville, MN, formerly Clear Lake, died Sunday, March 15, 2020, at Walker Methodist Highview Hills Assisted Living in Lakeville, MN, with her daughter, Patti, at her side throughout thirteen days in hospice care.
A memorial service will be held at a later date, due to the coronavirus outbreak, at Ward-Van Slyke Colonial Chapel, 101 N. 4th St. Clear Lake, IA 50428. Updates in regard to a memorial service can be viewed at the link below and on Facebook in May. Interment will be in Cresco, IA beside her beloved husband, Zack at a later date.
Cards sent to the Chapel will be forwarded to the family. Condolences and memories may be shared at www.colonialchapels.com.
Wilma was born in Waucoma, IA to Joseph and Theresa (Schlicte) Doerr. She had four sisters and one brother.
She enjoyed a very social life with many loving friends who were with her in her final days. Her special place to be was in the middle of her grandchildren, in her recliner at the Upham home.
Wilma is survived by her four children: Ken (Emily) Young, Phyl (John) Evans, Ardy (Joe, deceased) Squiers, Patti (Kevin) Upham, Grandchildren: Joe J. Squiers, Kris (Kent) Larsen, Ken Jr (Sheri) Young, Debbie (Wayne) McFarland, Jackie (Todd) Doncavage, John G. (Jeanine) Evans, Kelley Upham (fiancé, Cody Reynolds), Megan Upham and Zachary Upham.
Also, surviving: more than 35 great and great-great grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, three of her sisters, her brother, her former husband, Harvey Young and an infant daughter, DeLoris. The last to precede her in death were her loving husband, Zachary T. Gardner, son-in-law, Joe Squiers and great-grand-daughter, Stella Doncavage.
Harvey J. and Wilma Rose (Doerr) Young Children
- Kenneth J. Young Sr. married 1st: Paula Ann Edge; married 2nd: Dixie R. Dorinzi; married 3rd: Emily Armstrong.
- Phyllis “Phyl” Rose Young married John Cameron Evans.
- Ardis “Arly” Elaine Young married Joseph “Joe” Oren Squiers.
- DeLoris Mae Young
Born: 2 Aug 1947 in Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, USA.
Died: 6 Jan 1948 at the age of 5 months in Cresco, Howard, Iowa, USA.
Zachery Thomas and Wilma Rose (Doerr) Gardner Children
- Patricia “Patti” Kay Gardner married Kevin Upham.
- Kathreen “Kay” Agnes Doerr
daughter of Joseph Sylvester and Theresa Mary (Schlichte) Doerr. Her birth record shows Katherine Louise Doerr, however in most of the records I found she went by the name of Kathreen or Kathleen Agnes Doerr.
Born: 1 Aug 1924 in Cresco, Vernon Springs Township, Howard County, Iowa, USA.14
Died: 7 Mar 1990 at the age of 65 in Clear Lake, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, USA.
Married 1st: 7 Feb 1950 Earl Raymond Long in Fillmore County, Minnesota, USA
Married 2nd: 1956 Harold Frisbey in Mexico.
Earl Raymond Long son of James and Edna (Huckins) Long.
Born: 23 May 1914 in Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, USA.
Died: 15 apr 1969 at the age of 54 in Waterloo, Black Hawk County, Iowa, USA.
Find A Grave: Memorial #112762550 buried at New Oregon Cemetery, Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, USA.
Military:. PFC Army Air Forces WWII.
Harold Frisbey, son of Andrew and Eva (Butts) Frisbey.
Born: 30 Jan 1900 in Naschua, Chickasaw County, Iowa, USA.
Died: 6 Sep 1967 at the age of 67 in Davenport, Scott County, Iowa, USA.
Military:. Army WWI
Was Kay a Bigamist? The following are the records and story of the incarceration of Kathreen Doerr.
It appears that Kay was incarcerated for Bigamy on 12 Sep 1946 and released 27 Feb 1948.15
Penitentiary at Ft. Madison, Consecutive No.: 1591; Name: Doerr, Kathreen; Date of Admission: Mar 27; Date of Sentence: Mar 26; Maximum: 3: Crime: Bigamy, Lewd Acts; County: Fayette; Judge: Antes; age: 21; Height 5’41/2”; Weight: 110; Complexion: Dark’ Eyes: Brown; Hair: Dk Brown; Nativity: Iowa; Nationality: Amer.;Temperate or Intemperate: Int; Education: 10th; Religion: Catholic: Commitment: Non; Disposition of case: Exp: 9-12-46, Exp: 2-27-48.
I found the following newspaper clippings and record of her incarceration. Although not 100% sure it’s our Kay, the location, religion, name of Kathreen (which is unusual) and dates point to this being our Kay. I’ve also provided my opinions, but you can form your own. If you know of more details, I’d be happy to update this post.
British Bride Forgives16
Mrs. Donald Howe, 18, British war bride, smiles at her 34-year-old husband as they begin housekeeping on their farm near Waucoma, Ia. Howe, a former sergeant with the combat engineers, was given a suspended sentence on bigamy charges because of his war record and his British wife’s declaration she forgave him and would stand by him. Howe had married Kathreen Doerr, Waucoma, in Minnesota last February. Kathreen was sentenced to three years in the women’s reformatory at Rockwell City on her plea of guilty to the bigamy charge. The English girl came to Waucoma 10 days ago—WIREPHOTO UP.
British Bride Finds Husband a Bigamist, But Forgives All17
WEST UNION UP—A story — with a happy ending about a British war bride who arrived after a long trip from her home near Liverpool to find her husband in jail charged with bigamy has been disclosed here.
Donald Howe, about 34, former sergeant who served overseas with the combat engineers, was accused of marrying Kathreen Doerr, 21, Waucoma, Iowa, last February 26 at Caledonia, Minn., while already married to the British woman.
He was in jail when Mrs. Howe, whom he married in September, 1945, arrived last Friday from England.
She told Judge W. H. Antes, after Howe and Miss Doerr had pleaded guilty to the bigamy charges, that she would stand by her husband and that she had forgiven him.
Miss Doerr was sentenced to three years to the women’s reformatory, but after considering Mrs. Howe’s plea and studying Howe’s war record, Judge Antes suspended Howe’s five-year sentence.
The Howes will move to a farm near Waucoma, his home, where he has a job.
Bigamy is the offense of being married and knowing that his lawful spouse is living, marries another person or carries on a bigamous cohabitation with another person. Marrying a bigamist is a related offense can be applicable to a person who marries someone who they know to be currently married.
Not a happy ending for Kay, though. What is disturbing about this, is that the person she “married” was already married, so she would only be guilty if she knew he was married. The sad thing is that he was let off because he was a veteran and his “wife” claimed she forgave him. That just sounds wrong to me, especially given Kay was only 21 at the time and he was 34 years old (the smuck). It sounds more like she was a naive victim. What caused her to plead guilty? Did she really know he was married? What kind of support system did she have, both family and legal? Her father had died 10 years earlier and her mother was possibly remarried at the time, so it makes me wonder if she had much support system at all. The good news is it appears after she got out, she had a pretty normal life. It disturbs me that he got off and she had to serve time. What was it about this story that caused the judge to excuse him from incarceration and not her?
I’d sure like to know the complete story.
Earl Raymond Long Obituary18
EARL R. LONG
Earl R. Long, 54, formerly of Cresco, died at the Americana Nursing Home here at 11:50 p.m. Tuesday [15 Apr 1969] of nephritus. He was born on May 23 1914, in Howard county, the son of James and Edna Huckins Long.
He was employed by the Titus Manufacturing Co. Mr. Long was a veteran of World War II. He was a member of the First Baptist Church of Preston, Minn.
He and his wife were separated. Among survivors are two sons at Preston, Minn.
Funeral services will be conducted Friday at 1 p.m. at the Parrott & Wood Funeral Home. The Rev. Daniel Rued, pastor of First Baptist Church of Preston, will officiate. Gravdside services will be at 3 p.m. Friday at the New Oregon cemetery at Cresco.
Harold Frisbey Obituary19
Services are set for 2 p.m. Saturday at Kearns-Dykeman Chapel for Harold Frisbey, 67, of 1703 Commercial St. The Rev. Ivan A. Rogers, Pastor of the church of the Open Bible, will officiate, with burial in Elmwood Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home after 7 p.m. Friday.
Mr. Frisbey died of a heart attack at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday [6 Sep 1967] while en route to St. Luke’s Hospital in Davenport.
He was born in Nashua Jan. 30, 1900, to Andrew and Eva Butts Frisbey and Married Kay A. Doerr in Mexico in 1956. He served with the Army during World War I and had been employed by contractors in Waterloo and Davenport. he was a retired employee of the United Cork Co. of Rock Island, Ill., and was a member of the AFL-CIO of Davenport-Rock Island.
Mr. Frisbey was preceded in death by his parents, two brothers and a sister. Survivors are his widow, three sons: Dennis, Randy adn Jackie, and a brother, Alford, all of 1703 Commercial St.; and two sisters: Mmes. Eva Ambazes of West Union and Gladys Schultz of Danville, Ill.
Kathreen A. Frisbey Obituary20
Kathreen A. Frisbey, 65, of the Independence Care Center and formerly of Waterloo, died Wednesday, March 7, at the care center following a lengthy illness.
She was born Aug. 1, 1924, in Cresco, the daughter of Joseph and Theresa Schlichte Doerr. She married Earl Long. He preceded her in death. She married Harold Frisbey. He preceded her in death.
Survivors include five sons, Joseph Long of Cedar Falls, Ronald Long of Waterloo, Randy Frisbey and Dennis Frisbey, both of Cedar Falls, and Jack Frisbey of Waterloo; three sisters, Elma Beer of Ossian, Wilma Gardner of Clear Lake, and Germaine Van Brocklin of Oklahoma; and eight grandchildren; she was preceded in death by a brother and a sister.
Services will be 1:30 p.m. Monday at the Parrott & Wood Funeral Home, with burial in Garden of Memories Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home from 3 to 9 p.m. today and for an hour before services Monday.
- Dora “Dorie” Lee Doerr
daughter of Joseph Sylester and Theresa Mary (Schlichte) Doerr.
Born: 17 Jun 1927 in Forest City Township, Howard County, Iowa, USA.
Died: 7 Feb 1985 at the age of 57 in Waterloo, Iowa, USA.
Married: 1952 Willard Leverne Ulrick in Marshalltown, Marshall County, Iowa, USA
Divorced: 1975 Willard Ulrick.
Willard Leverne Ulrick son of Wallace John and Anna Louisa (Adamson) Ulrick.
Born: 8 May 1922 in Stratford, Hamilton, Iowa, USA.
Died: 14 Apr 1999 at the age of 76 at Covenant Medical Center of complications during surgery, Waterloo, Iowa, USA.
Dora Lee (Doerr) Ulrick Obituary21
Services for Dorie Ulrick, 57, of 403 Indiana st., will be 1 p.m. Saturday at Chapel of Memories with burial in Garden of memories cemetery.
She died of natural causes Thursday at her home.
She was born in 1927 at Cresco. She married Willard Ulrick at Waterloo. They were divorced in 1975.
She was Cub Scout den mother for Pack 124 for seven years. She had worked at the Holiday Inn in Cedar Falls.
She is survived by a son, Jim Ulrick of New Hope, Minn.
Friends may call at the funeral home from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. today and from 9 a.m. until service time Saturday.
Willard Leverne Ulrick Obituary22
WATERLOO –– Willard L. Ulrick, 76, of Waterloo, died Wednesday, April 14, at Covenant medical center of complications during surgery.
He was born May 8, 1922 in Hamilton County, son of Wally and Anna Adams Ulrick. He married Dora Door (sic) in 1952 in Marshalltown. She died in February 1985.
Mr. Ulrick retired from Rath Packing Co. in 1967 after 22 years.
Survived by: a son, Jim of Minnesota; a grandson; two brothers, Lloyd of Stratford and Robert of Waterloo; and two sisters, Arlene Ulrick of Stratford and Doris Dodge of Pasadena, Calif.
Preceded in death by: three brothers, Julius, Glen and Virgil; and a sister, Pearl Star.
Services: 2 p.m. Monday at Chapel of Memories-West Family Funeral Care, with burial in Garden of memories. Friends may call from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday and for an hour before services Monday at the funeral home.
Memorials: may be directed to the family.
Willard Leverne and Dora Lee (Doerr) Child
- James LaVern Ulrick married Wendy Jean Mellesmoen.
- Germaine Julia Doerr
daughter of Joseph Sylester and Theresa Mary (Schlichte) Doerr.
Born: 15 Nov 1933 in Ossian, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA
Married: Donald Conrad Van Brocklin
Donald Conrad Van Brocklin
Born: 4 Mar 1927 in Los Angeles Los Angeles County, California, USA.
Died: 4 Jul 1991 at the age of 64 in Enid, Garfield County, Oklahoma, USA.
Find A Grave: Memorial #151269798 buried at Old Barclay Cemetery, Dunkerton, Black Hawk County, Iowa, USA.
Military:. Army enlisted 10 Oct 1950, released 17 Jul 1952 – Korean War.
Germaine Julia Doerr is and ancestor I will follow.
- Clarence Joseph Doerr
son of Joseph Sylester and Theresa Mary (Schlichte) Doerr.
Born:. 18 Nov 1935 in Ossian, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA.
Died: 3 Aug 1985 at the age of 49 of an apparent heart attack, at the Guttenberg Municipal Hospital, Guttenberg, Clayton County, Iowa, USA.
Married: Judith “Judy” Bailey
Find A Grave: Memorial #46257514 buried at Guttenberg Cemetery, Guttenberg, Clayton County, Iowa, USA.
Military: US Army 14 Jun 1955 – 4 Jun 1958.
Clarence Joseph Doerr Obituary 23
Clarence J. Doerr, 59, died Saturday afternoon at the Guttenberg Municipal Hospital after an apparent heart attack.
Survivors include his wife, Judith; a daughter, Robin Lynn, at home; and four sisters, Elma Beer of Ossian, Wilma Taylor of Clear Lake, Germain Van Bocklin [sic], of Enid, Okla., and Kathern [sic] Frisbey.
Services: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Tuecke-Allyn’s in Guttenberg. Burial: Guttenberg City Cemetery. visitation: 2 to 9 p.m. today at the funeral home.
Clarence Joseph and Judith (Bailey) Doerr Child
- Robin Lynn Doerr
- Joseph Doerr Death “Iowa, Death Records, 1904-1951,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q24D-ZSXN : 8 November 2017), Joseph Doerr, 21 Aug 1936, Iowa, United States; citing certificate #96167, State Historical Society of Iowa, Des Moines; FamilySearch digital folder 101821063.
- Joe S Doerr and Theresia Schlichte Marriage “Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KLWJ-ZRZ : 18 October 2017), Joe S Doerr and Theresia Schlichte, 09 Jan 1917, , Fayette, Iowa, United States; citing reference , county courthouses, Iowa; FHL microfilm 1,510,491.
- Joseph Sylvester Doerr Obituary “Joseph Doerr” The Gazette (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) 27 Aug 1936, Thu, p 13 retrieved from newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/image/548023649/?terms=Joseph%2BDoerr (Accessed 16 Aug 2019).
- Theresa M. (Schlichte) Doerr Burnside Obituary, “Mr. [Mrs.] Theresa Burnside”, The Courier (Waterloo, Iowa) 10 Mar 1970, Tue, p 5, col 1-2, retrieved from newspapers.com online at https://www.newspapers.com/image/356273069/?
terms=Germaine%2BVan%2BBrocklin (Accessed 26 Jul 2019).
- Louis Beer Birth “Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XVX8-RY3 : 1 April 2020), Louis Beer, 30 Oct 1914; citing Iowa, United States; county district courts, Iowa; FHL microfilm 1,477,418.
- Louis Beer Death “United States Social Security Death Index,” database, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V3FD-SZ5 : 22 July 2020), Louis Beer, 30 Nov 1992; citing U.S. Social Security Administration, Death Master File, database (Alexandria, Virginia: National Technical Information Service, ongoing).
- Elma M. (Doerr) Beer Obituary “Ellma M. Beer” The Gazette, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 24 Feb 2004, Tue, P 12, retrieved from newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/35404916/elma-m-doerr-beer-obituary/ (Accessed 29 Aug 2019).
- Louis Alphonse Beer Obituary, The Courier, Waterloo, Iowa, 2 Dec 1992, Wed, P 7, retrieved from newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/56446355/obituary-for-louis-alphonse-ossian/ (Accessed 31 Jul 2020).
- Wilma Rose Doerr Birth “Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK1S-MQTF : 1 April 2020), Wilma Rose Doerr, 27 Jan 1922; citing Waucoma, Fayette, Iowa, United States; county district courts, Iowa; FHL microfilm 1,513,690.
- Harvey J. Young “Iowa, Delayed Birth Records, 1850-1939,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q24X-J1KQ : accessed 1 August 2020), Harvey J Young, 20 Nov 1913, Dubuque Township, Dubuque, Iowa, United States; citing reference ID 503995, State Historical Society of Iowa, Des Moines; FamilySearch digital folder 101767313.
- Harvey Young Obituary, The Courier, Waterloo, Iowa, 23 Dec 1976, Thu, P 5, retrieved from Newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/48326393/harvey-young-obituary/ (Accessed 9 Apr 2020).
- Zachary Thomas Gardner Obituary, “Zachary Gardner”, The Courier, Waterloo, Iowa, 23 Sep 1982, Thu, p6, retrieved from Newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34958688/zachery-thomas-gardner-obituary/ (Accessed 16 Aug 2019).
- Wilma Rose (Doerr) Young Gardner Obituary “Wilma Rose Gardner” retrieved from Hogan-Bremer-Moore Colonial Chapels website at https://www.colonialchapels.com/obituaries/Wilma-Gardner-2/#!/Obituary (Accessed 29 Mar 2020).
- Katherine Louise Doerr Birth “Iowa, Birth Records, 1921-1942,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPHR-D86X : 30 October 2019), Katherine Louise Doerr, 1 Aug 1924; citing Birth, Harvard, Wayne, Iowa, United States, State Historical Society of Iowa, Des Moines.
- Kathreen Doerr Incarceration, Fayette County, Iowa, USA, admission date 27 Mar 1946, Rockwell City, Calhoun County, Iowa, USA-Ancestry.com. Iowa, U.S., Consecutive Registers of Convicts, 1867-1970 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors. (Accessed 13 Jan 2023).
- Kathreen Doerr Sentenced to 3 years for bigamy, The Des Moines Register, Des Moines, Iowa - 15 Apr 1946, Monday, retrieved from Newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/116373843/british-bride-forgives/ (Accessed 13 Jan 2023).
British Bride Finds Husband a Bigamist, But Forgives All, Iowa City Press-Citizen, Iowa City, Iowa-13 Apr 1946, Sat, Page 8, retrieved from Newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/116375588/british-bride-finds-husband-a-bigamisst/ (Accessed 13 Jan 2023).
- Harold Frisbey Obituary, The Courier, Waterloo, Iowa, 08 Sep 1967, Fri, p5, retrieved from Newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34960261/harold-frisbey-obituary/ (Accessed 16 Aug 2019.).
- Kathreen A. Frisbey Obituary, The Courier, Waterloo, Iowa, 11 Mar 1990, Sun, p17, retrieved from Newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34960454/agnes-kathleen-kay-doerr-frisbey/ (Accessed 16 Aug 2019)
- Dorie Ulrick Obituary, The Courier, Waterloo, Iowa, 08 Feb 1985, Fri, p5, retrieved from Newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/56570771/obituary-for-dorie-ulrick-aged-57/ (Accessed 2 Aug 2020).
- Willard L. Ulrick Obituary, The Courier, Waterloo, Iowa, 16 Apr 1999, Fri, p12, retrieved from Newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/35426991/willard-l-ulrick-obituary/ (Accessed 30 Aug 2019).
- Clarence J. Doerr Obituary, The Gazette, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 05 Aug 1985, Mon, p14, retrieved from Newspapers.com at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/56620163/obituary-for-clarence-j-doerr-aged-59/ (Accessed 3 Aug 2020).